Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Keeping Poetry :: Ferry Me Across the Water

Since beginning the new school year, I have been determined to add in more wonderful little "extras" to our school curriculum. 
Poetry memorization is one of these.

I think it is safe to say that we are all enjoying this.
Especially when it is a selection that can be acted out!

Ferry me across the water
by Christina Rossetti



Alice just recently started AOy1, and Royal is on to AOy3, we have been keeping pace with the AOy3 poetry selections (now William Blake, as we are just in Term 1).

As I did not want my sweet girl to miss out on some of the AOy1 poetry selections, I decided to incorporate them into our poetry memorization. They are pieces that both are enjoying, and they have been doing a great job of recitation!

After their "production", I am having them write the poem into their copybooks.
(I guess this would be a crude, rudimentary version of a poetry notebook.)


Royal has been learning cursive, so I am having him copy directly from the book.
He will also, over 3 days' time, copy the entire poem.



As for Alice, she is still trying to solidify her printing. 
She wanted to copy almost the entire poem; however, I had her just copy the first line.
today
Tomorrow perhaps we can continue?

"A certain sense of possession and delight may be added to this exercise if children are allowed to choose for transcription their favorite verse in one poem and another. This is better than to write a favorite poem, an exercise which stales on the little people before it is finished. But a book of their own, made up of their own chosen verses, should give them pleasure."
Home Education, p 238



 This is a Keeping Company::January Link-up with Celeste & friends over at Joyous Lessons.

8 comments :

  1. Learning to love poetry is such a wonderful thing. Love the book holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joy, poetry is a tasty morsel in the great feast that is education. And can be so fun!
      And I am really getting good use out of that book holder ... I use it to display art prints, look at books, and prop up my iPad :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, the acting out was just too sweet! What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Celeste! It was so fun to do, and they just love it :-)

      Delete
  3. Sweet start to copywork and keeping. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. I am more inspired now to purchase more "official" notebooks for all this keeping too!

      Delete
  4. Ferry Me Across the Water is one of my favorite Christina Rossetti poems, Kristyn.
    So glad to have found another kindred spirit at the link-up with Celeste. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how cool, Lisa! It is definitely a fun and memorable poem :-)
      I look forward to all this keeping up with Keepers!

      Delete