Friday, June 17, 2016

[Nature Study} :: Deepening my Observation

I have just started digging into "The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling". Right from the beginning, several gems caught my attention...techniques to help my journaling and to share as fun and easy skills to pass along to my children.

I am going to share the results of how Mr. Laws helped me to observe in ways I had never considered before...and it is exciting! These are prompts from the Curiosity section of the book (pages 6-7). 

Prompts to deepen observation:
I notice...
I wonder...
It reminds me of...


My Nature Journal Pages
I notice...
Just take some moments to observe, examine, and see your subject-matter from various perspectives.



I wonder...
Come up with questions about your subject that you are curious about.


It reminds me of...
Anything goes here! (I thought this was fun) ...anything from a previous experience, a factoid or a physical object that may not even have anything to do with the subject-matter.


At the core of all science are insatiable curiosity and deep observation,
qualities that lead to the best kind of learning:
learning motivated by your intrinsic wonder, hunger to understand, and ability to observe.
-John Muir Laws

SaveSave

4 comments :

  1. Love this! We may need to try those prompts. (Also, I was trying to resist the temptation not to run out and buy that book as soon as people started talking about it....but good grief it's getting hard to stick to that resolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well then you & I were in the same boat as far as making that purchase...but I jumped ship a couple of weeks ago because I just couldn't stand it anymore! :-P

      Delete
  2. I was in the same frame of mind until I received a gift card last week and decided that this was the time! I'm so glad I did because it has opened up so much more to me in terms of nature journalling. My own journal has been hobbling along recently and this guide has provided so much food for my mind to ponder on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Lucy! I felt like my journaling was handicapped as well. So after having received a little bit of cash for some work I did...and waiting and pondering if this would be a purchase I would USE...I decided to spend some of my money on it. :-) I look forward to seeing any of your future (or recent) nature journal entries! Please share!

      Delete